Translate

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Lady Sybil Ramkin

I don't like Paul Kidby's version of Lady Sybil Ramkin-Vimes at all (she's 8 characters down on that link). FYI: this is a character from Terry Pratchett's discworld series, a series which has gripped my brain and hasn't let go for at least the last 7 years. Anyways, Kidby's version is way too fierce, but this is actually a good thing! All his other discworld character renditions are superb*, which means that I have a hard time drawing any myself without copying his. So I'm glad I don't like Kidby's Sybil, bc then I can try to render how I imagine her:

line art:

 colored in photoshop, with my id moved to the upper left:


Trying to capture a character who I envision as aristocratic, large, motherly, down-to-earth, well-endowed, tall, and fierce when she needs to be. I don't think I captured the "tall" part of her character, but am satisfied that I got the other features. And I think I could have exaggerated her bosom a bit more: the reason I dressed her in Edwardian/Victorian garb was bc that era had massive chests. This era also worked for her hair, which is described as big and chestnut colored, and which is actually a wig since her hair has been singed away by her dragons' burps lol. She's also holding a shovel since she's probably on her way to muck out the dragon pens, and I purposely stuck out her pinky finger, since she's still aristocratic at heart. I love that Pratchett writes big, gentle girls into interesting characters <3 Who else does that? (seriously, does anyone know of anyone else who's done that?)


...awesome, the discworld bug has bit me again. I think I'll reread "Guards! Guards!" (again) :D


*I always hear "superb" in my head in a snobby east-coast accent, something like "soo-pawb" or similar


2 comments:

  1. You're making me want to read some Terry Pratchett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dooooo it. i, uh, kinda, like, own the whole series. something like 30+ books. so, you know... borrow! XD

      Delete